Apply For A Grant
We have developed the following steps to guide you through the application process.
STEP 1: Learn about what we fund
As of January 2017, prospective applicants should apply through the strategic areas and review carefully the goals and strategies for the strategic area from which they anticipate seeking support.
Goals and Strategies for our three strategic areas:
Review our geographic funding area, the listing of previously funded grants, and the definition of terms we use in our materials. Please pay attention to the deadlines for application submissions (March 1 and Aug. 1) in order to be considered for specific board meetings. You can refer to our “frequently asked application questions” or contact us if you have additional questions not covered here.
STEP 2: Determine your eligibility
Review our eligibility requirements.
Check your organization’s status on Guide Star to make sure that you are properly listed.
STEP 3: Submit Your Online Application
- First, create an account with The Heinz Endowments. We upgraded our online grant application form on Jan. 23, 2012, so you will need to create a new account if this is your first application in the new system. You will receive an acknowledgment email when you create your account. This email will contain your password and the link to login to your account, and you should save this email for your records.
- You must successfully pass the short eligibility quiz at the beginning of this process. If you have any questions concerning the quiz, please contact us.
- General information about the form:
- You can download a PDF of the application questions prior to completing the application, but your application MUST be submitted through the online system, not in paper form. When you begin your application, you will be asked if you are applying as an organization classified as tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or if you are applying using a qualified fiscal sponsor. The questions will vary slightly based on which you select. Click HERE to view the application questions if you are applying as a 501(c)(3) organization, and click HERE to view the application questions if you are applying using a fiscal sponsor.
- You can get a printer-friendly version of your application on any page by clicking on the link on the top right corner of the form.
- You can email your application in-process to a colleague for their review by clicking on the link on the top right corner of the form.
- Fields that are required to be completed for submission are marked with the word “Required.”
- Text fields can be spell checked by clicking on the checkmark after the field.
- Some fields have a maximum word count, but they also have a counter underneath that will count down the words for you.
- The application form now supports attachments, three of which are required: project budget, board of directors list, signed Patriot Act compliance statement. The maximum size for all attachments combined is 25 MB. Please note that files with certain extensions – such as ".exe," ".com," ".vbs," or ".bat" – cannot be uploaded. Acceptable formats include documents, spreadsheets, PDFs and photos. NOTE: Your Patriot Act compliance statement must be on your organization's letterhead, signed by the head of your organization and dated. Here is a sample Patriot Act statement.
- The application is divided into four sections: “Organization information,” “Contact information,” “Project information,” and “Goals & Measures.”
- You do not need to complete your application in one sitting. You can save your work and log back in at a later date.
- The “Review” page of the application will give you one last chance to review all your answers and make any necessary changes. You must hit the “Submit” button at the bottom of this page for your application to be processed.
- After you submit your application, you will receive an email acknowledging that we have received it. This email will contain a tracking number and a copy of the application that you submitted. Once your application has been successfully entered into our grants management system and forwarded to the appropriate staff for review, you will receive a second email with a new Grants Reference Number. Please use this new reference number for all inquiries.
- After you submit your application, you will be able to access it, but you will not be able to make changes to the application.
STEP 4: Endowments staff reviews your inquiry for board consideration
- After your application is entered into our system, it is sent to the appropriate staff. Please review the following to see what the Endowments looks for in an application.
- If your project is not a fit with the goals and strategies you selected for your application, you will receive a declination letter.
- If your project is a possible fit, Endowments staff will perform due diligence, which could involve phone calls, site visits, research, etc.
- If it is decided that your project should move forward, staff may possibly request additional information to finalize your application.
STEP 5: Proposal is presented to the board of directors for approval
- There are two grantmaking board meetings each year – one in the spring and one in the fall. You will be notified of the board’s decision concerning your proposal.
- Proposals for $50,000 or less may be considered on a rolling basis as interim requests.
- If approved, new grantees will receive a notification packet, including a grant agreement, guidelines for follow-up reporting and press release information. The grant agreement must be signed by the head of the grantee organization and returned before any payments can be made.
If you have any questions or problems with the online application form, please contact Cheryl Dabat.
GRANT APPLICATION DEADLINES
March 1 - Spring board meeting
August 1 - Fall board meeting
CLICK HERE to create a new general application. This general application should be chosen unless you have been instructed to use a different form. Instructions for this form are available here. All applications must be submitted online using the link above but click on the appropriate link below to view a PDF of the application questions.
Application Questions - 501(c)(3) Organization
Applications Questions - Fiscal Sponsor
LOGIN TO EXISTING APPLICATIONS
(Or complete a reporting requirement upon request from the Endowments)
CLICK HERE to login to existing applications. If you have already set up an account with the Endowments and are returning to either complete an application in process, or review an application that was previously submitted, please login using the link above. Use the drop-down box on the top right side of the form to toggle between applications that are in process and those that were previously submitted. Use the same link, above, if you are requested by the Endowments to complete a reporting requirement for an approved application.
SMALL ARTS INITIATIVE
CLICK HERE to begin a new application to the Small Arts Initiative. All applications are due by 11:59 pm on Aug. 1, 2018. After that time, unsubmitted applications will no longer be available and all information will be lost. Instructions for this form are available here. All applications must be submitted online using the link above but click on the appropriate link below to view a PDF of the application questions:
Application Questions - Organization
Application Questions - Fiscal Sponsor
ADVANCING BLACK ARTS IN PITTSBURGH
CLICK HERE to learn more about the Advancing Black Arts in Pittsburgh program. However, all applications and support materials must be submitted online via the Advancing Black Arts in Pittsburgh program's SlideRoom page at https://pittsburgharts.slideroom.com/. The deadline for submission is 11:59 pm on Thursday, March 1, 2018.
TRANSFORMATIVE ARTS PROCESS
Applications are now being accepted for the Teaching Artist Awards. This year, the request for proposals has been issued by New Sun Rising. All applications should be submitted to email@example.com. Do NOT use The Heinz Endowments’ online application system. To learn more about the Teaching Artist Awards requirements, please visit New Sun Rising. The deadline for this application is August 19, 2018, by 11:59 p.m.